Monday, November 19, 2007

Eyes opened to Islam

(Picture taken from google.com)

I had to go to Indonesia for work but only for a few days. I dont have pictures and I dont even remember what year I went ... but since this blog aims to document all my travels, I might as well write about it.

I went to Indonesia with my then boss Joseph Avendano and my mom, who wanted to buy wooden furnitures in Jakarta.

Here are a few things that I observed..
  • Muslim women strictly covered their hair and wore conservative clothes
  • The establishments that I went to (malls, parking lots, offices) all have prayer rooms so they can perform their salat or daily prayers.
  • All bathrooms have an area to wash your feet because when doing salat, it must always be preceded by ablutions (wudu') of ritually washing the face, hands, and feet.
I know this may cause a debate, but nowadays, I don't see the same dedication in Catholicism in the Philippines. This was the first time for me to visit a Muslim country, and it was nice to see firsthand the loyal and peaceful followers of Islam. Kudos.

No comments: